Although I was raised in a poor little town in NJ with my parents finding ways to turn pennies into dimes, I am honestly not fond of the whole trash picking thing. For the first time in my life, the other day, I TRASH PICKED! Haha. I totally could not pass this chair up though.
So it obviously needed some work, but was well worth it. I had a little chat with it while I was sanding it down, explaining that it better be good to me because I saved it from the dump. (Maybe I’m turning into a crazy cat lady!) I hope to get a lot of life out of this old wooden rocker🙂
The arm would have been way easier if I was using my corded jigsaw vs the battery charged jigsaw that kept dying during the process!
The electric sander was wonderful though. This one is my moms, and I definitely need to get one for myself. I used it to strip the blue paint from the chair and to strip the edges from the replacement arm that I traced and cut from a 1″x4″.
I started with the intentions of spraying the chair with a base of brown, a thin coating of vaseline on the edges (for the distressed look) followed by a top coat of heirloom white.
So far, it was coming along as expected, although the bottom coat took two cans of paint, versus the one I was expecting.
I strategically coated the edges with Vaseline and applied the heirloom white top coat.
Once it dried, I wiped down the Vaseline and the distressed look was spot on. Unfortunately, the white top coat was a little blotchy from the wind that day.
After a few days of staring at it, I decided to paint over it by brush with rustoleum’s almond color paint. I then sanded the edges by hand to get the distressed look.
I love how it turned out, the depth of the brown, then white in the distressed area’s adds a lot of character. Today, I applied the clear matte coat and the only changes to the chair at this point will be the cushions that I decide to sew up for it!